What a beautiful day! The weather was great and kids learned a lot. Even the adults
had fun. What am I talking about? The Fall festival that was held Saturday the 20th of
September at Reinstein Woods Nature Preserve.
Our booth was next to the pond we built years ago. Our group gave out packages of “Goldfish” crackers (fish shaped crackers of course) to all the kids. Our Sand art was brought back by popular demand. Kids were able to make frogs, caterpillars, owls, butterflies, bears, ladybugs, or flowers with sand to hang on their refrigerators when they got home. Members were present to answer questions from the adults about ponds. Thank you goes out to the following who donated their time to this event: Bev and Nat, Ann, Nancy, Arlene, Renae, Dawn and Anthony, Phil and Sandy, Angie and Jerry, Chris and Dennis.
Join NFKPC at the 14th Annual Fall Festival!
Saturday, September 20, 2014 from 10:00 AM to 4:00 PM
Soar into fall at this spectacular festival, this year featuring a bird theme! A $2.00 donation to Friends of Reinstein Nature Preserve is gratefully requested at the door to cover festival expenses.
14th Annual Fall Festival List of Events and Exhibitors
2014 All Day Events
- Interactive exhibits from local nature, environmental and historical organizations
- Compete in the Great Migration Challenge
- Test your skills at the Bird Beak Bonanza
- Explore the amazing World of the Pond
- Go on a bird-themed scavenger hunt and win a prize
- Make bird-related crafts and “binoculars”
- Become a Spill Responder!
- Kids: try “snow”shoeing in a winter wildlife exhibit
- Kids can try fly “fishing” too!
- Live animals
- Food for sale
- Face painting, costumed characters, door prizes, and more!
Scoop for critters in Lily Pond!
2014 Special Events
Duties of a Detector Dog Demonstration
Environmental Conservation Officer Hunt and his K9 companion Bear demonstrate how dogs help protect the environment. 10:30 AM
Musical Performances by Mama Earth
Don’t miss this interactive musical show! 11:30 AM and 1:00 PM
Wild Bird Presentations
SPCA serving Erie County Wildlife Department will share some of the birds they have rehabilitated. 12:30 PM and 2:00 PM
Buffalo Zoo Live Animals from 10:00 AM to 2:00 PM
Meet the Illustrator Table
Bronwen Battaglia, illustrator of “Miss Egret Regrets,” will be signing copies of this children’s book. Proceeds benefit Friends of Reinstein Woods. This will go on all day.
Enjoy more than 30 interactive exhibits from nature and environmental organizations!
- Boy Scouts of America (Greater Niagara Frontier Council)
- Buffalo Audubon Society/ Beaver Meadow Audubon Center
- Buffalo Geological Society
- Buffalo Zoo
- Burchfield Nature and Art Center
- Cheektowaga Historical Association
- Cheektowaga Police Crime Resistance Unit
- Cheektowaga Youth & Recreation
- Cornell Cooperative Extension
- DEC Division of Forest Protection
- DEC Division of Lands and Forests
- DEC Division of Law Enforcement
- DEC Bureau of Spills Management
- DEC Bureau of Wildlife
- DEC Great Lakes Program
- Earth Spirit Educational Services
- Erie County Soil & Water Conservation District
- Federation of Fly Fishers- Lake Erie Chapter
- Friends of Reinstein Woods
- GRoW Buffalo
- Lost Ladybug Project
- Messinger Woods
- New York Power Authority
- New York State Department of Public Service
- New York State Energy Research & Development Authority
- New York State Outdoor Education Association
- New York State Parks Interpretive Program Office
- Niagara Frontier Koi & Pond Club
- SPCA of Erie County- Wildlife Department
- Tifft Nature Preserve
- U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
- Western NY EAB Task Force
- WNY Herpetological Society
- WNY PRISM
- WNY Stormwater Coalition/ Erie Co. DEP
For more information click here.